Friday, March 14, 2014

Important to work with BCCI: Lorgat

It has been a long and draining battle. Accused of unethical conduct and forced to stay away from ICC deliberations, CSA CEO Haroon Lorgat was determined to prove his credentials and make a comeback. Having to fight very strong opposition from the BCCI, his task was not easy. Finally, Haroon has been cleared of all charges and is back at the helm of South Africa cricket. 

Relieved and empowered, he spoke to Boria Majumdar about his tribulations and what this victory means to him. Excerpts from the conversation:

Boria- You must feel vindicated after all the trials and tribulations isn't it?

Haroon Lorgat- Yes I do. I had always known that the charges were unfounded and justice will be done. I wanted the investigations to go on because it was important that it was conclusively proved I was not in the wrong. I have always wanted to serve the game with dignity and wouldn't do anything to violate its sanctity.

Boria- Pitted against the BCCI you were faced with the most difficult adversary in world cricket. Does that make the victory all the more significant?

Haroon- I don't see it as that. For me it was never a fight with the BCCI. A number of allegations were levelled against me, which were untrue and unfounded. It was important for my credibility that I stand up against the charges and prove my credentials. Thats all I have done.

Boria- Isn't it in the best interests of the game that both you and the BCCI behave with grace and move on. Cricket needs BCCI and CSA to bury the hatchet and work together in future.

Haroon- Yes indeed. I am confident we have the responsibility and the determination to do so. As I have always said it is important we work together for the welfare of the game. It is an important phase in the game's history and major cricket playing countries have far greater responsibility at the moment. I have nothing against the BCCI, never had, and would welcome the opportunity to move on and work together. 

Boria- Your reinstatement comes at a critical time in the games history as you say. With the Big Three takeover of the ICC now a formality how do you see the path going ahead? 

Haroon- I was not involved with the ICC's deliberations at the time of the Singapore meeting. So it wouldnt be fair on my part to comment on what transpired in that meeting. It will be better if you speak to the President of CSA if you want to know more about the ICC revamp. This is because I wasn't involved in the process.

Boria- Fair enough. But this vindication comes at a very critical time in your career as well doesn't it? To be CEO and yet forced to stay away from crucial decision making could not have been easy for you.

Haroon- Of course not. And especially when I had done nothing wrong whatsoever. I had never acted unethically and done things that were ascribed to me. I have said to you many times before, the accusations were baseless and it was necessary for my well being that an independent adjudicator verified all the charges. If the charges were dropped a few weeks back it would not have been the same. 

It would have meant I did not get my name cleared of wrongdoing. Now it all stands crystal clear. I can now get back to working for the betterment of the game without any stigma of wrongdoing levelled against me. That's the most important aspect of this vindication. 

Boria- Finally, will you ever nurture a grudge against the people who levelled these allegations? Clearly you did not go through the best of times over the last few months?

Haroon- No I won't. If I do, I can't work for the betterment of cricket. As long as I am in this job my only goal is to serve the game with integrity and honesty. Frankly, I have moved on since yesterday you know. It was very important for me that my stand was vindicated. But now it is over and done with. Time to move on and act with responsibility and dignity.
This entry was posted in :

0 comments:

Post a Comment